Flea & Tick Prevention at Our Charlotte Veterinary Hospital
Are your pets protected from fleas and ticks? Prevention is always easier than treatment, but when it comes to common pet parasites, it’s especially important to stay ahead of the game. Your pet needs regular parasite prevention, and Hickory Grove Animal Hospital is here to provide it. Our Charlotte veterinarians offer comprehensive parasite prevention options for every pet, as well as tick and flea treatment options to help get rid of existing parasites.
Whether you have an active dog that plays in the woods or an indoor-only cat, fleas and ticks are real risks that could bring serious consequences for your family. Your pets depend on you to protect them from fleas and ticks, so let’s tackle parasite prevention together.
Risks of Fleas & Ticks: Why Parasite Prevention Matters
So, why is it so important to have a flea and tick prevention regimen? Flea infestations aren’t just annoying and inconvenient; they can also threaten the health and safety of your pet. Meanwhile, ticks can carry life-threatening illnesses. Here are some of the most common and concerning consequences of pet parasites:
- Internal Parasites – When pets ingest fleas and their larvae, they risk additional parasites, including tapeworms
- Flea Bite Dermatitis – This painful skin condition is caused by an allergy to the saliva of fleas
- Open Wounds – Fleas and flea bites cause intense itching, and as pets scratch their skin constantly, they risk open wounds and infections
- Anemia – If too many fleas consume your pet’s blood, they could become anemic as a result, which is more common among puppies and kittens because they have a smaller blood supply
- Lyme Disease – Deer ticks may carry a bacteria responsible for this chronic illness
- Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (RMSF) – Another tick-borne bacterial illness (and one of the most devastating), RMSF can be life-threatening
- Household Infestations – Of course, fleas can also jump off your pet and begin to infest
These are just some of the side effects of parasite infestations. Make sure your pet is protected, so they never have to worry about these consequences.
Different Types of Flea and Tick Prevention
With so many preventative products on the market, it’s important to make your pets are getting a high-quality, consistent preventative regimen. Our Charlotte veterinarians are happy to provide a variety of veterinary-strength options to prevent fleas and ticks, including:
- Monthly Topical Medications (including sprays)
- Oral Medications (including monthly pills)
Some medications are designed simply to protect against fleas and ticks, while others help to destroy eggs or larvae if an infestation does occur. It’s important to talk to your vet, and make sure your pet gets the right dosage and type for them.
Get In Touch With Our Local Veterinarian for Flea and Tick Prevention
Are you ready to start a parasite prevention regimen for your pet? Fleas and ticks are no match for our comprehensive flea and tick protection options. Call us today to make an appointment with a Charlotte veterinarian who can help protect your pet.