Advice from Our Charlotte Veterinarian on Your First Road Trip with Your Pet
Now that summer is here, you may be thinking about your next road trip. If your pet is part of your family, you may not want to leave your pet at home while you enjoy a vacation. Many people take their pets with them when they travel, and you can too!
Planning Your Trip
If you're traveling with your pet, the first and most important step is to incorporate your pet into your planning. Anything you do on the trip will need to accommodate your pet, including lodging. In addition, pet road trips mean taking a little extra time when your pet needs to eliminate on your way to your destination. Here are some things you should think about when planning your trip with your pets.
- Have everything your pet will need handy so you don't have to search for food a leash packed in a suitcase.
- Allow extra time for driving to accommodate stops for your pet to eat, drink and eliminate.
- Remember that your pet will be in an unfamiliar environment and may need time and support to adjust.
- Read hotel pet policies carefully; some hotels do not allow you to leave your pet unattended.
- Get information for veterinarian offices near your destination in case your pet needs attention while you're away from home and keep your Charlotte veterinarian information handy in case it is needed.
Preparing Your Pets
It's also important to prepare your pets for the travel. This is especially important if your pet has never been on a road trip before. Here are some travel tips so you can prepare your pet for a road trip.
- Take your pet on short trips so your pet becomes used to traveling in a vehicle.
- Use the same food you normally give your pet to avoid any gastrointestinal distress that could come from changing foods during the trip.
- Make sure your pet is free from illness or injury and fit for travel before your trip.
Contact Our Veterinarian in Charlotte, NC Today!
If you need more information about preparing for your pet road trips, call your veterinarian at Hickory Grove Animal Hospital in Charlotte to get travel tips and make sure your pet is healthy enough for travel. You can reach us at (704)563-5858 or visit us at 5450 N Sharon Amity Rd., Charlotte, NC 28215 to schedule an appointment!